HANDS was founded by Prof. A. G. Billoo (Sitara-e-Imtiaz) in 1979. HANDS has evolved in 37 years as one of the largest Non-Profit Organizations of the country with an integrated development model and disaster management expertise. HANDS has a network of 31 offices across the country and has access to more than 22.2 million population more than 17,000 villages/settlement in 48 districts of Pakistan. HANDS strength is 12 volunteers Board Members, > 5,000 full time staff and thousands of community based volunteers of more than 6,100 partner organizations. HANDS is an equal opportunity employer.
HANDS requires following staff for HANDS Head Office Karachi
Position: Project Manager
No. of Positions: 02 Male/Female
Place of Posting: HANDS HO Karachi / SIOVS Hyderabad
Age Limit: 25-40 Years
Reporting Line: Head of Department-Health / Lead SIOVS
Qualification: Relevant academic background (at least Master’s level), e.g. in Social Sciences, Disability Studies, Economics, Political Science, Public Health, Community Development, Education.
Experience: Extensive experience in development sector, both NGO and governmental Leadership skills and experience in managing a small department.
Skills: Excellent knowledge and experience in PCM;
Excellent understanding of community based development approaches.
Experience with disability inclusive development a strong asset.
Excellent reporting skills.
1. Core Purpose
Partner Project Manager Role of Programme Specialist Lead:
Implements complex/advanced programmes or projects, including budget, programme design and development, project monitoring and evaluation
Manages a multi-disciplinary programme staff
Leads and guides project team and provides learning to line manager
Education, Knowledge & Professional Experience
- Relevant academic background (at least Master’s level), e.g. in Social Sciences, Disability Studies, Economics, Political Science, Public Health, Community Development, Education
- Excellent knowledge and experience in PCM;
- Excellent understanding of community-based development approaches
- Experience with disability inclusive development a strong asset
- Excellent reporting skills
- Extensive experience in development sector, both NGO and governmental
- Leadership skills and experience in managing a small department
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills
- Intercultural, gender and diversity competence
- Process-oriented thinking
- Able to deal with stress, time pressure and conflict situations
- Ability to communicate effectively at various levels within the organisation
- Willingness to adhere and commit to organizational Values and Child Protection Policy.
- English (professional proficiency)
- German (professional proficiency / advantageous)
- Local / Regional Language (professional proficiency / advantageous)
- Good knowledge of MS Office (particularly advanced Excel skills)
- Experience in applying Project Cycle Management (PCM) tools.
- Organisational competencies
- Quality of Work
- Quantity of Work
- Professional Knowledge
- Fostering Teamwork
- Attention to Communication
- Customer / Service Orientation
- Results Orientation
- Position Competencies
- Strategic Thinking
- Interpersonal EffectivenessManager Competencies
- Developing Others
- Managing Performance
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Personal Credibility
3. Overall Mission
The purpose of this position is to provide support to the head of department in programme implementation, monitoring and professionally managing the partnerships, thereby actively contributing to inclusive development. The job holder ensures CBM’s policies, standards and benchmarks for programme work are respected, achieved local stakeholders and promoted among partners.
4. Main Activities
- Responsible for technical implementation, coordination between all project stakeholders, compliance with contractual agreements, including with government authorities
- Reporting: responsible for overall monitoring and donor reporting
- Monitor programme implementation and progress
- Ensure adherence to standard procedures and technical standards (the latter with support by recruiting organization and CBM country office)
- Assess community needs and programmatic opportunities in close cooperation with relevant advisors/specialists and resource persons
- Commit to disability inclusive development and diversity
- Promote inclusive culture and organizational values
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support monitoring systems for programme work in the country
- Ensure that each partner receives a technical M&E visit at least twice a year.
- Manage and coordinate the Programmes Team/Department
- Guide and supervise the Programme Team's work, ensuring timely execution of team requests (call ups, one-time grants, approvals, re-designation of funds, utilisation of savings, lapse of funds, etc); solve problems in implementation and flag serious issues
- Be the first point of entry for programme partners on all issues related to budget implementation
- Together with the Finance Department oversee the programme budget tracking of expenses in line with approved lines.
Team and stakeholders Support
- Strengthen linkages between stakeholders and the implementing organization through effective communication and coordination on programme implementation matters;
- Ensure the implementation of programmatic component of the approved project Plan.
- Support the head of department in the coordination of the budget application process;
- Ensure regular project visits, partner dialogue and coordination meetings (if and where applicable).
- Implement agreed strategies and plans, regularly monitor and report on progress.
- Ensure professional process management for the programmatic side of the regular reporting by partners and timely updates.
- Review periodical reports to donors (narrative and financial reports) and advise head of department/line manager accordingly;
- Provide input to country Office reporting (monthly, quarterly, and annual) depending on area of responsibility with prior agreement with line manager.
- Prepare Terms of Reference (ToRs) and participate in relevant project visits and meetings; generate required reports on discussion;
- Report suspected cases of fraud and mismanagement to the line manager.
- Assess team and identify capacity development needs.
- Support capacity development activities of team with particular focus on budget cycle management and implementation issues.
- Contribute to complementing implementation capacity (including finance and administration) of partners.
- Particularly for programmes receiving designated funding:
- Ensure implementation of programme support according to donor standards and standards set by funding agencies;
- Review agreements ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures;
- Monitor the utilisation of donor funds and ensure timely reporting to donors with prior agreement with line manager.
- Represent organization in relevant forums and networks, in close coordination with the line manager.
- Actively support and guide the programme Planning process.
- Develop relevant annual and multi-annual plans and proposals in agreed formats.
- Contribute in conceiving and developing project proposals and ideas.
- The Project Manager will in consultation with and upon instruction by the line manager and Country office perform adhoc activities which are either by their nature related to their normal duties or evolve from operational requirements. These may include but are not limited to:
- Being available as a potential member of the Organization team of Competence.
- Research, collation of information, and database development as required.
5. Performance Criteria
- Manage budgets/costs accurately