CARE is a leading global humanitarian and development organization. In Pakistan, CARE started its operations in 2005 and since then has supported the Government of Pakistan’s efforts to reduce poverty and suffering of the people affected by disasters. CARE’s programs focus on helping Pakistan achieve its Sustainable Development Goals especially in the areas of Health, Education, Women’s Economic Empowerment and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR). Since starting operations in Pakistan, CARE has responded with life-saving support to a series of large-scale disasters. Through emergency programs, CARE International in Pakistan (CIP) has provided relief, recovery and rehabilitation support to millions of Pakistanis affected by disastrous floods, earthquakes and displacement. CIP works through its local partners and a range of stakeholders for development, as well as emergency response related interventions, which makes collaboration a key component of its work, across the country. We are a nationally inclusive organization that strives to support the most vulnerable communities all over Pakistan, with particular attention to women and girls and youth.
The goal of this three-year project is to improve the well-being of the most vulnerable community children - especially girls and those with disabilities - through the provision of inclusive, equitable and sustainable quality education in a safe and accessible learning environment. The project will address core education improvements for vulnerable communities. It aligns with the National Education Policy recommendations for preparation of future emergencies, school safety, risk assessment, rehabilitation, and disaster management plans for continuation of education services. Furthermore, it is developed in alignment with the objectives of the provincial Education Sector Plans and School Safety Framework by strengthening capacities of teachers, children, and Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs) to mitigate risks in and around schools, and to build school and community level resilience to emergencies. The project will be implemented in 3 districts of KPK and 2 districts of Balochistan.
The position will be based at CARE Country Office Islamabad with an expectation of 50% travel to field locations.
I. JOB SUMMARY
Under the supervision of the MEAL Specialist, the MEAL Officer will be responsible to provide technical support to partner organizations in implementation of the monitoring plan, provide strategic advice on data collection, analyze data collected through monitoring and evaluation, and collect information from the implementing partner. The collected information will be used to produce quality reports and case studies linked with the program/ project processes, input, outcome and impact indicators. S/he will ensure feedback is incorporated during the planning processes for improving data management system and will support in setting up the projects MEAL systems synchronized with country office MEAL and will have the responsibility for maintaining data base and strengthen the system, building capacity of Partners Organization staff. The incumbent will also contribute to document lessons learned as the project evolve.
II. Job Responsibilities:
Development of MEAL system, tools, and processes
% of Time: 20%
- Set up a project MEAL System that incorporates basic standards, including tools for designing, evaluating and assessing along with guidelines, including CARE International Principles, DME (Design, Monitoring & Evaluation) Standards and Evaluation Policy, as well as standards promulgated by SPHERE, Code of Conduct, SMART principles, and other M&E relevant standards, systems and quality management processes;
- Ensure that the incorporated time frames are clarified and indicators and responsibilities are clear;
- Develop a project database at CO that ensures the availability of all required information based on project performance indicators aligned with central database of CIP.;
- Set up and maintain a knowledge management system of the project that includes key project reporting and learning documents, MEAL tools, tracking and reporting forms, monitoring reports, proposals, donor requirements and reports, evaluations and other program information).
Training and Capacity Building
% of Time: 20%
- Plan and develop processes for assessing capacity building needs of Implementing Partners MEAL and project staff and other CARE colleagues;
- Conduct trainings and provide other technical assistance to build capacity of CARE and implementing partner staff in MEAL (based on capacity building plans) i.e Qualitative and quantitative data collections, developing tailored monitoring plan, and operating database systems;
- Maintain and update the feedback and accountability mechanism database with the responses from program for course correction.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
% of Time: 50%
- Facilitate field data collection processes for MEAL functions);
- Support the IP to collect case studies, success stories and share it with internal and external audiences;
- Provide technical support to IP in setting up a system and process to collect key lessons of the project and disseminate it to the staff and implementing partners;
- Develop or adapt quality standards for project activities to assess the quality of implementation;
- Conduct field visits to CARE and implementing partner field offices periodically to assess progress toward achieving objectives, ensure program compliance and effective implementation according to work plans, M&E plans, and proposals; providing recommendations for improvement;
- Maintain and update action plan tracker with monitoring findings for course correction and follow ups;
- Plan and coordinate project reviews, evaluations to be conducted internally or externally as required by project M&E plan;
- Ensure regular submission of program performance reports based on their Performance management regulations and LFA;
- Conduct quality control tests on all incoming data and supervise data entry and data cleaning/editing processes.
- Conduct beneficiary verification survey, Knowledge, Attitude and Practices survey, learning and satisfaction survey, tracer studies and post distribution monitoring of distribution activities.
- Build strong and functional accountability mechanisms and ensure that these are continuously monitored.
- With support of project leads ensure that project information is correctly shared with beneficiaries through the most appropriate mechanisms.
- Data protection and confidentiality for protection and GBV cases.
- Ensure beneficiaries actively participate in project activities.
- Maintain and update a complaints and response mechanism database for tracking feedback from communities and ensure that the feedback/complaints are responded to.
- Build capacity of other program staff to undertake accountability including ensuring participation of communities and sharing information with communities as well as undertake accountability assessments
- Ensure the Complaint Feedback Mechanism (CFM) are functional and accessible to beneficiaries.
- Develop regular trend analysis of complaints at organizational level and share these with program team as per protocols.
- Support in carrying out preliminary first verification report in case of serious nature of complaints filed by beneficiaries/communities and support for investigation of that types of complaints as per CFM protocol.
- Ensure that the agreed action plans are followed in timely manner by program team.
- Share all information (monitoring reports, CFM databases, preliminary verification reports, case studies etc.) With supervisor
- Share MEAL findings & CFM issues in each monthly meeting
- Ensure that the CFM guidelines are followed by all staff.
- Support team in implementation of country learning agenda through researches, learning workshops, secondary data review and other learning activities.
- Conduct comprehensive analysis of evaluation and research findings; provide summary of findings, learning and recommendations and share these with program staff.
- Professionally document and proactively share information and learning from projects with CARE staff and stakeholders as necessary.
- Take an active role in ensuring that staff are compliant in sharing the reports with the donors, member countries and with the relevant online system.
- Assist in maintaining learning and knowledge management system for the country office.
- Ensure the key learning’s are incorporated in upcoming plans and interventions.
% of Time: 5%
- Participate in proposal development of CARE Pakistan (other projects), including developing log frames, M&E plans, Gantt charts and/or other tools for program design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Keep up to date on CARE DME resources, MEAL strategies, concepts, and best practices;
- Support the MEAL of other CARE projects, as and when needed; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- The duties and responsibilities described above are subject to change, depending on the project needs and change in situation due to emergency.
Any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
% of time: 05%
- Any other tasks or responsibilities based on organizational and programming need as assigned by Line Manager.
- Safety and Security is everyone’s responsibility within CI through full compliance and accountability (as per Principle of the CARE International Safety & Security Principles).
III. Job Specifications:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Statistics or other related field.
- Desired: Master’s degree and/or knowledge of statistical software i.e. SPSS, MS Access Database.
- Required: Minimum 2 – 5 years of experience in the field of M&E; experience of working in projects related to basic education, non-formal education, mental health, protection, GBV and WASH interventions is highly desirable.
- Experience of working in the KP and Baluchistan districts will be preferred.
- Desired: Experience of working with National and International NGOs
- Highly organized, attention to detail and strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills;
- Computer skill particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, ACCESS, Power Point;
- Good oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Firm belief in quality, integrity, teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and
- Proficiency in English, both verbal and written.
- Willing to travel on a short notice, as required by the organization.
- Working Conditions and Level of Travel Required:
This position will be based in Islamabad with frequent travel (50%) to Baluchistan and KP districts.
CARE International in Pakistan is an equal opportunity employer; only individuals who are shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. CARE has a zero-tolerance approach toward sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse.
Note: Individuals can apply using Brightspyre or send their resumes directly to [email protected] clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line of the email, before the stated deadline. Please share your current as well as salary expectation along with the CV.
Short-listing will be done on rolling basis.