Job Title: Inclusive Education Intern
Reports to: IE Research and Assessment Officer
Department: Pakistan Country Program
Salary Grade: 05
CRS is an international NGO based in the United States that works in over 100 countries to promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies. CRS was established in 1943 to help war-torn Europe and its refugees recover. Today, we continually seek to help those most in need, without regard to race, creed or nationality.
CRS is seeking an Inclusive Education Intern for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded Education Resilience Activity (ERA) project in Pakistan. This program will support the Ministries of Education to improve the education systems’ climate resilience and inclusiveness of marginalized populations, particularly girls and children with disabilities.
IE Intern will be responsible for administrative support across project, data collection and analysis support, materials development support (e.g., translation between English and Urdu). This position will play a vital role in ERA education project, contributing to various sides of the initiative. The primary responsibilities include supporting data collection efforts, engaging in data analysis to derive valuable insights, and providing assistance in translating materials to facilitate effective communication. Additionally, the intern will actively participate in the development of training and supplementary materials aligned with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles, ensuring they are accessible and inclusive. This role presents a unique opportunity for the intern to gain practical experience in inclusive education initiatives, research methodologies, and the development of educational resources. Alongside these core tasks, the intern will occasionally provide administrative support, contributing to the smooth functioning of the project. This internship promises a dynamic learning environment, fostering skill development in research, data analysis, material development, and project administration, while actively contributing to the advancement of inclusive education practices. The intern will work collaboratively with a dedicated team, gaining exposure to the complexities of inclusive education within a real-world project context. This position is based on Islamabad and will report to Sr. Technical Advisor. S/he will foster a positive environment of collaboration with project stakeholders including but not limited to other donors, Technical and Consortium members, organizations of persons with disabilities (OPDs), Partners with the public and private sectors to strengthen local education systems.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Under Senior Technical Advisor Inclusive Education guidance, s/he will provide needed support for the ERA project during implementation and consolidation in the components of research, IE material developments, language translations, and in administrative tasks.
- Assist in planning and executing data collection activities, ensuring adherence to research protocols and ethical standards. Collaborate with the team to gather relevant data on inclusive education practices and student outcomes to assist IE Research and Assessment Officer.
- Engage in data analysis using statistical tools and research software to derive meaningful insights and trends and contribute to the interpretation and presentation of data findings to inform decision-making.
- Provide support in translating project materials to enhance accessibility for diverse language groups. Ensure accuracy and cultural sensitivity in translated content.
- Actively participate in the development of Information, Education, and Communication (IEC) materials related to research findings and awareness on gender and inclusiveness. Contribute creative ideas to make materials more engaging, accessible, and inclusive.
- Assist in the implementation of inclusive education initiatives, working closely with project stakeholders including partner organizations and the government education department in Pakistan.
- Gain practical experience in research methodologies, including literature reviews, surveys, and case studies. Contribute to the design and execution of research activities to address key questions in the field of inclusive education.
- Occasionally provide administrative support to ensure the smooth functioning of project activities. Assist in scheduling meetings and taking meeting notes, maintaining documentation, and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Actively engage in a dynamic learning environment to enhance skills in research, data analysis, and material development. Participate in training sessions and workshops to build a strong foundation in inclusive education practices.
- Work collaboratively with a dedicated project team, contributing ideas and insights. Participate in team meetings, share progress updates, and actively contribute to discussions on project advancements.
- Gain exposure to the complexities of inclusive education within a real-world project context. Contribute to the advancement of inclusive education practices through hands-on involvement in project initiatives.
- Implement quality assurance measures to ensure that all materials and training programs meet established standards of excellence. Conduct periodic reviews and updates to keep materials relevant and effective.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies.
- A master’s degree in education/ social sciences or relevant discipline from an accredited, recognized university.
- Minimum 2 years’ work or volunteer experience related to inclusive education, materials development and translation, or educational research.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and mobilize diverse partners, developing stakeholder networks, and successfully communicating and coordinating among key stakeholders.
- Understanding of the education landscape of the region or in Pakistan.
Required Languages – English, Urdu and any local language is preferable.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 40 %.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to understand the big picture.
- Very good relations management abilities, including the ability to work in a team and take direction from colleagues.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
- Recognized technical experience and qualifications in education/ social sciences or relevant disciplines.
- Experience in engaging with partners. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Experience in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and web Conferencing Applications.
- Previous experience in the development of project supplementary material and research work for education projects.
- Understanding of education systems, policies, and practices, especially those related to inclusive education.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and deliver capacity-building programs for diverse stakeholders, including local organizations, communities, OPDs, and government agencies.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and are used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Senior Technical Advisor for Inclusive Education IE Materials and Training Officer, Deputy Chief of Party, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Country Manager, Country Finance Manager, Director Finance and Operations, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor, Field Managers, Communication Officer, Education Technical teams
External: USAID, Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Education, Consortium members leadership, other donors and communities.
We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CRS prioritizes candidates who are citizens/ permanent residents of the countries where we have CRS offices.