Adam Smith International is a strategic development company that helps people prosper by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance. Our core team of managers and technical experts, in offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed. ASI is owned and operated by its employees, and we are all dedicated to making a meaningful difference in complex, challenging situations. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.
Our Program Managers perform a key role in Adam Smith International’s consulting model and play a central part in managing implementation and delivery of major development programmes, supporting Government of Pakistan. We are seeking an experienced and results-driven Senior Program Manager for our Islamabad office to support in managing our program delivery portfolio. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in advanced program management with reputed development setcor companies demonstrating the ability to deliver complex initiatives within the scope, budget, and timeline constraints.
In addition to above, we expect the Senior Program Manager to provide quality strategic direction, manage dynamic team, and assurance of successful delivery of program.
- South Asia team management (particularly other Program Managers, Project Directors, and Head of Pakistan)
- ASI technical teams including Team leader, associates and partners/suppliers.
- ASI Pakistan HR, Operations and Security Team
- ASI Finance & Project Accountants team (Islamabad and London)
- Programme clients (FCDO, Provincial/Federal government)
- Other donors, consultants, NGOs operating in Pakistan
- Other government representatives
1. Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Supports Senior Management in setting and executing the strategic Direction: Supports in executing the strategic direction of ongoing programs, ensuring overall alignment of the workplan with Theory of Change and log frame throughout all planning and delivery.
- Supports the management of the Team: Supports the Program Director(s) in management of the team, defining roles, and instilling a culture of high performance, adaptation and innovation, and working politically, whilst encouraging collaboration, retention, well-being, and positive behaviours in line with ASI values.
- Support senior management in managing the programme, including overall strategic direction and programme guidance on all aspects of the programme.
- Ensure that activities are implemented to a high quality within expected timeframes and expected results.
- Act as the primary point of contact with the clients and government counterparts, including representing the programme at meetings with representatives of donors, national and sub-national governments.
- Holds the accountability and responsibility for the technical delivery of the programs along with senior program delivery leaders.
- Supports in setting and executing the strategic direction, maximising impact and value for money, ensuring overall alignment of the workplan with strategic priorities.
- Supports the development of the programme Theory of Change and the design of interventions, contributing knowledge of international best practice grounded in the local context.
- Oversee and manage a real-time M&E process that drives continuous learning, and captures planned and emergent outcomes.
- Ensures that all interventions and workstreams have a clear sustainability strategy and exit plan from the start of the programme.
Client engagement, Stakeholder Relationship Management and Communications
- Acts as principal liaison with the client– ensuring the client is appraised of project progress, issues and risks are identified early enough and escalated.
Work Planning and Progress Tracking
- Support in leading the development of the programme’s workplan, its implementation and initiate necessary revisions and further client approvals where necessary.
- Is responsible for the execution and timely delivery of the programme workplan.
- Ensures timely and quality delivery of all contractual deliverables and annual workplans.
- co-leads regular Strategic Reviews, as agreed with the client.
- Reviews budget implications of technical decisions with the management team
- Works with programme management teams to ensure effective management of the project budget, ensuring efficient use of resources, and managing expenditure in line with the agreed budget.
- Ensures accurate and timely budget forecasting of all planned activities for timely reporting to the client.
Legal, Ethics and Compliance and Risk Management
- Leads regular discussions to identify and assess risks/issues, to assign risk ownership and to follow up on implementation of mitigating actions (at least monthly)
- Ensures the client is informed of strategic risks and mitigation plan is in place
- Oversees and ensures programme practices are in compliance with ASI and client contractual rules and regulations, and that all programme staff comply with UK and local laws and regulations, client, and company policies
- Supports the management in leading and managing the team to ensure clear roles and responsibilities, understanding of the workplan, objectives, priorities and deliverables.
- Supports the management in managing and maintaining team performance, ensuring that appropriate HR practises, including performance management system, are in place and being followed.
- Fosters a positive and encouraging team atmosphere, supporting team members to develop and excel in their positions.
- Manage subcontractors’/partners’ performance, to ensure quality and timeliness of delivery and results at project level