Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
The Building Health Families Activity will operate in Pakistan’s Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces, addressing environmental and health barriers to uptake of integrated Family Planning (FP)/Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) services. The program will apply a market-development approach to optimize:
- The stewardship of the public and private health sectors in leading resilient, responsive FP/MNCH systems
- Norms and behaviors that drive demand and motivate health workers to provide quality care, improving use of FP/MNCH services and products.
- Access to FP/MNCH services through the availability of quality, affordable, and appropriate services, and the empowerment of men and youth to communicate about and demand essential products and services.
Driving health care equity will be foundational to the program’s approach, including the assurance that services are responsive to the needs of women, girls, and young people, and that health systems remain resilient to stressors and shocks from climate change. Our approaches will engage men and boys meaningfully, strengthen human resources for health, deploy new digital health solutions, and ensure commodity and supply chain security for FP/MNCH services, while taking a gender responsive and resilience lens.
Through applying a system-based approach that responds to the complex realities of person-centered health care, the project intends to broaden coverage across social demographics (including men, adolescents, young couples, and traditionally marginalized groups), living in Sindh and KP. The project will provide technical support to the Government of Pakistan, undertake concentrated Social Behavior Change communication methodologies to address social determinant of health on ground and work with local organizations and facilities to build their capacity on integrated health service delivery, while leveraging innovative digital health service delivery solutions.
Key Job Outcomes:
Strategic Development and Implementation:
- Provides strategic direction on all project activities. Develops and updates the project work plan, ensuring programmatic approaches are technically sound, evidence-based, and consistent with donor priorities.
Programming Design and Implementation:
- Ensures the project achieves the greatest possible impact, including providing the necessary leadership to inspire and motivate the project team to implement performance objectives and mandates in a timely and cost-efficient fashion.
- Meets the highest quality standards and value for money and ensures project compliance with donor rules/regulations and Pathfinder SOPs, including technical guidelines.
- Oversee training programs for technical skills.
- Create opportunities to generate ideas, support best practices, promote open innovation, and ultimately increase impact.
- Serves as the senior representative for the Project to the donor, host country government agencies, development partners, and civil society organizations.
- Cultivates and strengthens positive, productive relationships and ensures that Pathfinder is consistently viewed as an effective implementing partner and achieves project targets.
Monitoring and Evaluation Strategy:
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor, provide leadership and direction to ensure robust monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks, plans, systems and indicators to capture and monitor/evaluate project resources, performance and results.
Financial and Operations Management:
- In collaboration with the Finance and Administration Director, establish and maintain the ongoing financial and grants operations, including monthly pipeline reviews to ensure accountability of all project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of finance deliverables.
- Partner successfully with Pathfinder’s Program Director and US-based financial, technical, and operations officers by providing accurate and timely reporting, updates on the project progress, monitor quality of project implementation, and coordinate provision of relevant technical assistance based on project needs.
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly, and adhered to by staff. Monitor the security situation and provide leadership for staff in emergencies.
Minimum Education and Work Experience:
- Advanced degree in public health, social sciences, or related field.
- Over 15 years of progressive program management experience overseeing donor funded projects.
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in a senior management/leadership position for USAID-funded projects.
- Professional experience working in a senior management position for donor funded projects.
- Experience interacting with host country agencies, including central and local government, development partners, civil society, and community-based organizations is essential.
- Previous experience working in Pakistan, where the project will be based.
Minimally Required Job Specific Competencies:
- Program Management: Experience in program management and administration, financial management, award compliance and sub award management, and tracking activity performance and costs.
- Leadership: Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively with other donors, host country institutions, and international organizations.
- Management and Supervision: Proven ability to lead, manage, and develop direct reports within a matrix culture.
- Operations and Financial Management: Deep knowledge of operations and financial management on a donor funded project.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies/Attributes:
- Languages: Proven writing and speaking skills and English language
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices, and services including strategies and indicators.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
Minimally required Managerial and Leadership Competencies:
- Judgment: Ability to make decisions based on experience, knowledge, and analysis.
- Relationship Building: Interacts with others with respect and cooperation, and in a way that is mutually beneficial to both parties.
- Results Orientation: Determines the best possible means to achieve a solution or outcome.
- Verbal Communication: Verbally expresses ideas and information to others effectively.
- Influence: Inspires others to bring out the best in themselves and to trust in the leader’s ideas, decisions, and recommendations.
- Job location – we are seeking a person based in Pakistan.
- Ability and willingness to travel In-county as well as to the US Headquarters. Travel throughout the project areas in Pakistan will be required (up to 35%).
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer.
- This job description format focuses on the main duties of the position and is not intended to list every potential task or assignment.
- Duties can and will change to meet the changing priorities of the department and organization.
Application procedure / How to apply:
- Interested applicants are requested to include the contact details of at least 3 references in their resume.
- The recruitment for this position will remain open on a rolling basis till a suitable candidate is identified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Statement:
Pathfinder International provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Safeguarding and Protection Statement:
Pathfinder is committed to the safeguarding and protection of the people we serve and our staff. We have zero tolerance for any type of behavior that inflicts harm on children, young people, adults, our staff, and partners including sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, and exploitation. We do everything possible to ensure that we recruit only those who are suitable to work with us. We expect that everyone we hire will abide by our safeguarding and related policies and will report any suspected or known violations. This job is subject to a range of vetting checks as legally permitted in the country where they are being hired. By applying, the job applicant acknowledges they understand our intent to verify suitability to work with us.