Safeguarding and Compliance Senior Coordinator, Pakistan
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Contract type: Full Time/Permanent
Salary: Competitive salary as per respective band and commensurate with experience
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Application closing date: 04.12.2023
About Better Cotton
Better Cotton is the world’s largest cotton sustainability programme. Our mission is to help cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment. Better Cotton currently has offices in China, India, Mozambique, Pakistan, Switzerland and UK, as well as staff based in Brazil, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mali, Netherlands, Sweden, Turkey, the Unites States and Uzbekistan.
Better Cotton in Pakistan is working under a service level agreement with Better Cotton Global.
Why join us
In challenging times, we are meeting the challenge head on. Better Cotton includes more than 200 individuals from diverse cultures, countries and backgrounds. Through our network of field-level partners a quarter of the world’s cotton is now grown under the Better Cotton Standard. We have united the industry’s stakeholders behind our efforts, from ginners and spinners to brand owners, civil society organisations and governments. Everyone who cares about cotton and its sustainable future can now be part of something better.
About this role
We are thrilled to offer an exciting opportunity for a talented professional to join our organisation as a Safeguarding and Compliance Senior Coordinator.
As a Safeguarding and Compliance Senior Coordinator, you will play a crucial role in driving this initiative forward and making a positive impact on both our company and the global textile industry. If you are passionate about sustainability, possess strong relevant skills, and want to contribute to a greener future, we invite you to join our team.
You will be line managed by the Country Director and matrix managed by the Safeguarding Manager at Global. The role will be responsible for Safeguarding and Compliance at Better Cotton Pakistan.
- Act as a champion for safeguarding at Better Cotton Pakistan;
- Ensure that Better Cotton Pakistan’s strategic plans meet Better Cotton Safeguarding standards, national and international legislation, and the safeguarding expectations of any donors or government advisory bodies;
- Develop and facilitate Pakistan-specific training materials and provide continuous training and awareness to the Pakistan team and partners on safeguarding;
- Work with our partners to support them to improve their safeguarding processes in line with corrective action plans and due diligence requirements;
- Work with the Safeguarding Manager on country-specific safeguarding work such as risk assessments, survivor support guidelines and awareness raising;
- Manage a Safeguarding hotline in Pakistan and develop a log of Pakistan based investigators that can be used, when needed;
- Work with the Safeguarding Manager to support safeguarding investigations, at times acting either as co-investigator or Investigations Manager for some incidents. Facilitate survivor access to support services;
- Point of contact for staff, partners, farmers, stakeholders on safeguarding incidents;
- Work with the Complaints Monitoring Team to manage all Complaints related to Pakistan including reviewing complaints received in the inbox;
- Assisting with the appointment of external investigators when required including drafting and posting TORs and handling contracting and payments;
- Ensure the Pakistan team’s compliance with all Better Cotton policies and procedures, including the Acceptable Internet Usage Policy, Whistleblowing Policy, Code of Conduct, Risk Management and Fraud and Corruption policies;
- Ensure that Better Cotton Pakistan is meeting its obligations to legal authorities;
- Oversee Better Cotton Pakistan’s risk registers and risk management processes;
- Improve Better Cotton’s travel processes for Pakistan trips, including creating guidance documents, and creating risk assessments of hotels and event venues;
- Create a formalised risk management process for physical security and develop emergency plans;
- Review the insurance policies that Better Cotton Pakistan has in place and identify and remedy any gaps.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Continuous learning and development
- 25 days paid annual leave, plus 9 Bank Holidays and a further 3 days discretionary leaves
- Maternity/paternity leaves
- OPD & IPD coverage
- Life insurance
- Flexible working
- A warm, positive working environment where everyone is value
- The opportunity to make your mark and make a difference.
We are looking for someone who is having
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Relevant university degree, or equivalent work experience in law, international development social studies or a relevant discipline
Minimum 5 years of experience at an NGO, government agency, social enterprise, or security firm.
Extensive knowledge and practical experience of safeguarding
Leadership skills – ability to influence and convince others to commit to organisational change, both within Better Cotton and at partner organisations
Proven ability to collaborate effectively (in-person and through use of virtual tools) across different teams and cultures, with strong relationship-building skills.
Excellent organisational and project management skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills – ability to communicate clearly and concisely as well as the ability to assimilate and process information for diverse audience
Excellent computer and IT skills, including: Word; PowerPoint; Excel, Outlook
Fluent in English
Presentation skills; ability to provide trainings to small groups and create visually compelling presentations.
Master’s degree in law, international development, social studies or relevant discipline
Experience of working internationally
Experience with livelihoods and decent work initiatives
Experience conducting safeguarding, HR or financial misconduct investigations,audits
Please send us by or before 04.12.2023 a detailed CV in English and a brief cover letter (2 pages maximum) via this link:
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Better Cotton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to good practice and transparency in the management of natural, human, and financial resources.
Better Cotton has a zero-tolerance approach to any attitudes or behaviours that put children or adults at risk of harm. Safeguarding incidents are acts of serious misconduct and are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including, dismissal and referral to relevant authorities for criminal prosecution. Therefore, all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
Better Cotton is currently unable to provide sponsorship for any work visas, so you need to have work rights in the country where the position is based at.