About the role:
The Head of Programs provides a leadership, decision-making and coordinating role on programmatic issues, both in the development of quality proposals as well as the effective implementation of PMS’s projects across Pakistan. With a focus on refugees, internally-displaced populations and host communities, and flood-affected communities, PMS is currently implementing programs in WASH, Livelihoods, Mother and Child Health, Climate Action, and Integrated projects.
As a senior member of the core management team, the Head of Programs leads on the development of strategies and implementation of programming in the geographic areas where the PMS is operational (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Baluchistan, Punjab and Sindh).
All functions of this position adhere to the Pak Mission Society’s Strategic Action Plan and strive for program excellence, gender equality, maximum beneficiary support, and client voice and choice. The position is part of the senior management team and as such, serves as a key leader in supporting and achieving the PMS’s mission.
Your impactful goals will include:
1. Strategic Planning and Implementation (10%)
- Support the implementation of the PMS organizational goals as laid out in Strategic Action Plan, in coordination with the CEO and other colleagues, annually update program, and sector strategies while remaining relevant to evolving contexts and operational effectiveness.
- Oversee the implementation and monitoring of the programmatic strategic action plan
- Lead roll out of all policies related to programming initiatives, monitoring & evaluation systems, research and development, emergency preparedness and emergency response, livelihoods and climate action.
- Oversee the development of donor and program sector strategies, including the integration of cross-cutting functions of gender, monitoring & evaluation, cash programming, partnership, disaster risk reduction and advocacy.
- Together with other senior members, ensure emergency preparedness plan, set up emergency team with support from human resources team, develop emergency team and capacity and readiness to respond within 72 hours of the onset of emergency, as appropriate to context, needs and operational capacity.
2. Program Development (10%)
- Provide overall guidance and leadership in the rollout and use of Program Framework, Theories of Change and Strategic Action Implementation Plan.
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer, pro-actively design and implement fundraising strategies, incorporating donor mapping and communication plans, to ensure program sectors are adequately financed.
- Support the Business Development and MEAL teams to ensure that high quality, evidence and needs-based project proposals are developed, in compliance with donor regulations as well as within the parameters of the Program Strategic Plan.
3. Program Implementation (30%)
- Lead and Support the Area Managers to ensure that program implementation is managed closely through the development of structured work-plans and approved monitoring plans based on project proposals and that expenditures are monitored monthly; with well-structured corrective action is initiated and tracked where required.
- Support program teams and program support teams in achievement of PMS’s Strategic Action Plans, outcome priorities and programmatic commitments.
- Provide the CEO with accurate and up to date advice of developments and opportunities in program and project implementation together with any necessary recommendations for action.
- Support the MEAL in developing, rolling out and monitoring the use of a country-wide MEAL strategy and tools for the collection and analysis of program information (qualitative and quantitative) to inform all stages of the project cycle to increased shared learning internally and externally.
- Work with technical teams, especially Climate Action, Livelihoods and WASH to develop and implement strategies on climate resilient programming, livelihoods interventions and advanced WASH terminologies keeping in view sustainable development goals.
- Oversee the development of timely and high quality reporting by the team and program staff for submission, per PMS and donor guidelines.
- Coordinate donor visits, and support field staff in preparing and conducting these visits as necessary.
- Support the Localization & Strategic Partnership Manager in the development of a Partnership Strategy, development of required strategy implementation tools and identification of potential civil society organization partners.
- Ensure the provision of appropriate technical assistance from PMS’s technical team, external consultants or partner agencies as necessary.
4. Leadership and Team Development (20%)
- Provide strong leadership and guidance to a team of field staff.
- Set clear performance expectations and ensure staff are motivated and engaged.
- Foster a positive work culture that promotes teamwork and professional development.
- Provide supportive guidance and supervision to direct reports including Area Managers, technical team, and other direct reports. Provide appropriate and timely feedback to staff regarding their performance, including timely implementation of the annual staff performance management system.
- Set clear and smart objectives aligned to Strategic Plan commitments.
- Ensure all relevant existing program and technical staff are knowledgeable on the Strategic Plan, and associated processes and initiatives including onboarding of new program/technical staff as necessary.
- Support the identification of staff development opportunities for senior staff.
- Assist in developing job descriptions and in the recruitment of senior program staff.
- Ensure that regular and quality staff evaluations are conducted for all staff.
- Promote an open, diverse and participatory work environment.
- Deliver and execute a plan to hire, train and build capacity of staff to transition role to a national staff by conclusion of assignment.
5. Liaison/Representation and Coordination (10%)
- Command a sound understanding of PMS’s programs. To be able to professionally represent the PMS and the PMS’s interests with implementing partners, government, donors and other stakeholders.
- Assist the CEO in establishing, developing and sustaining a strong relationships with donors / Govt counterparts to ensure sustainable programs in the portfolio sectors.
- Encourage and support improved program cohesion through coordination initiatives and information sharing with and between all key program staff.
- Promote the vision, mission and values of Pak Mission Society amongst all staff.
- Serve as an active member of the program’s Senior Management and deputize for the CEO as necessary.
6. Quality Assurance and Reporting (10%)
- Monitor program activities to ensure compliance with established standards and guidelines.
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program implementation and provide technical support.
- Collect and analyze data to measure program impact and identify areas for improvement.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports, including progress reports, financial reports, and donor reports.
7. Budget Management (10%)
- Contribute to the development of program budgets and ensure proper utilization of allocated funds.
- Monitor expenditures, review financial reports, and take necessary actions to address any budget variances.
- Conduct budget vs actual meetings to discuss burn rate on a regular basis with all Area Managers and project teams.
- Ensure transparency and accountability in financial management processes.
What we are looking for:
Education & Knowledge
- Master's degree in International Development, International Relations, relevant social sciences, or equivalent demonstrable experience in relevant fields.
- Certification Programs such as PMP (Project Management Professional) can be an asset.
- Excellent professional track record with 8-10 years of experience, preferably in a complex and dynamic humanitarian and development environment.
- At least 3-5 years of experience at programmatic leadership level.
- Successful experience working within a complex security environment is preferred.
- Team management and conflict resolution experience.
- Budgeting and cost management: The jobholder needs to be able to develop and manage budgets for his/her project, ensuring that costs are controlled and monitored.
- Risk management: The Jobholder needs to be able to identify and mitigate risks to the project, including developing contingency plans to deal with potential issues.
- Communication: The Jobholder needs to be an effective communicator, able to convey project goals, timelines, and status updates to stakeholders, team members, and donors.
- Leadership: Jobholder need to be strong leader who can inspire and motivate his/her team to achieve project goals and objectives.
- Quality assurance: Jobholder need to ensure that the project meets quality standards and that deliverables are completed to the required level of quality.
- Change management: Jobholder need to be able to manage changes to the project scope or timeline, including identifying potential impacts and communicating these changes to stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a complex and challenging environment; must be culturally sensitive
- Excellent leadership, people management, interpersonal and negotiation skills, and a demonstrated ability to develop harmonious and high-performing teams in a multi-ethnic context.
- Strong diplomacy skills; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with partners, donors, and other stakeholders in a sensitive environment.
Why should you join us at Pak Mission Society?
At Pak Mission Society, we provide you with the platform to work in a challenging environment to become a skilled professional in your chosen field of interest.
As an equal employment opportunity provider, Pak Mission Society makes all decisions of employment purely based on merit irrespective of race, caste, gender, creed, color, religion, national origin, or disability.