Human Appeal is a faith-based charity that aims to abolish poverty by providing humanitarian aid, sustainable development programs and championing advocacy for our beneficiaries worldwide. Human Appeal has seven International Field Offices across the globe.
Please note, this is a local contract, for this role you must have the right to work in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Job Overview: We are seeking an experienced and dedicated Internal Auditor to join our team at Human Appeal. To develop the Internal Audit function of Human Appeal that will provide assurance at organizational and service level to all Human Appeal Managers in the UK and globally. The Internal Auditor will monitor the effectiveness of Human Appeal’s risk management and internal control environment. This will involve helping to draw up internal strategy, audit plans and audit methodologies, as well as providing real-time assurance working with Human Appeal teams to assist them in assessing and mitigating risks to ensure Human Appeal’s policies, procedures and systems remain fit for purpose and risks mitigated and managed. The Auditor would be required to visit other field offices of HA for audit purposes and report to HQ and Audit Manager.
Deliver risk management needs, via;
- Development and contribution to Human Appeal’s internal audit function.
- Advise on and promote effective risk management in Human Appeal for Pakistan and Internationally.
- Periodically review Human Appeal’s approach for identifying and managing risks and support relevant teams
- Work with staff to promote a culture of risk awareness and support in assessing and mitigating risks
- Identify and develop new risk monitoring systems to promote more efficient management of risk
- Act as an ambassador for the Internal Audit function, working with colleagues to promote a culture of risk awareness and support in assessing and mitigating risk
- All to identify new concerns, with the view of promoting a risk awareness culture and helping to identify of best practice.
2. Planning and undertaking the internal audit process of HA by;
- Developing an internal audit strategy and methodology.
- Determine internal audit scope and develop annual internal audit plans, based on organizational risks and strategies and an assessment of audit needs.
- Perform and control the full audit cycle (in the UK and internationally) including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations.
- Agree terms of reference, presenting the findings and following up on recommendations and agreed action plans.
- Obtain, analyses and evaluate documentation previous reports, data and other information
- Prepare and present reports that reflect the audit’s results and document process.
- Act as an objective source of independent advice to ensure validity, legality and goal achievement.
- Identify loopholes and recommend risk aversion measures and cost savings.
- Maintain open communication with management and the audit and finance committee
- Conduct follow up audits to monitor management’s interventions.
- Assist in the preparation of annual report on the overall effectiveness of Human Appeal’s internal control environment in all its offices and arrangements.
- All for the identification and management of risk (safeguarding), save costs and ensure value for money, improve communication in all its overseas offices and arrangements.
Contribute to the Benchmark of the INGO Sector and act as a point of contact by;
- Representing Human Appeal at relevant sector meetings
- Engage to continuous knowledge development regarding the INGO sectors rules, regulations, best practices, tools techniques and performance standards
- To remain competitive, acquire useful sector knowledge for the benefit of the charity
Deliver Staff Capacity Building via;
- Providing general guidance
- Training and developing the understanding of staff in terms of assurance, risk mitigation, internal control environments and compliance.
- All to promote a culture of risk awareness and support in assessing and mitigating risks.
Provide Additional Reporting and support via;
- Preparing Audit Committee reports and provide updates to the Audit Committee
- Provide advice on compliance matters and review documentations
- Support the Year-End accounts process, ensuring accuracy, timely and compliant
- Develop effective relationships with senior management including the Senior Leadership. Team, Chair and members of the Audit, Risk and Finance. Committee/ Chief Operating Officer
- Liaison with external regulators and facilitating external reviews
- Participate in working groups within the Charity and provide them with relevant and practical advice
- Undertake ad-hoc requests
- To attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the line manager
- All to ensure continuous improvement in line with HA strategy and facilitate the charity's work.
Special investigations via;
- Carrying out investigations where fraud/irregularity is identified, and for serious incidents, recommending changes to process where necessary
- Act as an escalation point for audit and risks issues.
- To safeguard the charity, de-escalate issues, and mitigate risk.
NB: Employee duties are not limited only to the above-mentioned Accountabilities; he/she may perform other duties as assigned.
Qualification & Experience:
- Degree in accounting, finance and Professional certifications such as Chartered Accountant (CA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
- 3-5 Years of Experience within a similar role and must currently be working in Audit, INGO experience would be an advantage.
- Computer literate and experienced with MS Office Suite and Auditing software
- Excellent written/spoken English, additional language a bonus.