DAI is implementing the US Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labor (DRL)’s funded project “Strengthening Leadership within Union Councils (LUC)”.
LUC is a four-year project (2019-2023) and is working with local governments in Sindh and Punjab to increase the capacity of local councils to fulfill their commitments to providing services to local communities and improve the equitable allocation of local resources.
LUC will work with the Union Councils (Sindh) and Village Panchayat and Neighborhood Councils (Punjab), various government departments, independent commissions, academia, and local civil society organizations and platforms to achieve the following objectives:
Objective 1: Increase the local councils’ capacity to engage in good governance best practices. Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Understanding of good governance, planning and budgeting
- Support for service delivery, planning, decision making and monitoring
- Enhanced access to local council services
Objective 2: Increase the leadership skills of council members (officials and elected representatives). Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Leadership training program for elected and reserved seat councilors
- Institutional strengthening of Local Government Academies
Objective 3: Provide councils with opportunities to engage under-represented groups (women, youth and minorities). Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Capacity building of youth, women and minority councilors
- Inclusive engagement of relevant stakeholders in local councils (local CSOs/NGOs, bar associations, press clubs, community leaders, councilors etc)
- Advocacy capabilities of community activists
The Finance & Operations Manager will ensure efficient management of the operational and financial aspects of the project, as well as overall compliance with contractual requirements, DAI policies, US DoS/DRL regulations and local law. S/he will oversee finance, procurement, grants, inventory, logistics, human resource and record management for LUC’s activities and operations in Sindh and Punjab and will supervise the day-to-day work of operations and finance staff.
The Finance and Operations Manager will provide programmatic, financial management, operations, and contract management support. S/he will ensure that financial and operational functions support the timely and effective implementation of the project’s technical scope of work. S/he provides counsel to PTL to ensure that resources are allocated and used in compliance with contractual requirements, applicable regulations, and appropriate standards and procedures.
The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the financial management for all project activities such as developing and managing the award budget, monitoring expenditures and preparing financial reports. His / Her responsibilities include coordinating the project procurement, contract, logistics, and human resources in close collaboration with project teams. He / She ensures the project property management and records systems are set up, regularly maintained and monitored. S/he will implement fraud mitigation practices and ensure systems and processes are implemented effectively to support implementation of the project.
He/she will also support the PTL in the management of the project, aligning staff, systems, and other resources to provide timely, cost effective, responsive, and high quality operations and administrative support available resources, and in an environment with adequate internal controls, adhering to donor regulations, DAI policies, and local laws and regulations.
The Finance & Operations Manager will report directly to the Program Team Leader. The position will require frequent travel to Sukkur and other cities as per project needs. 50% of the job role focuses on finance and compliance, 40% on operations management, and 10% on grants management.
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial and operational transactions for the program. He/she is responsible for compliance with all policies and procedures related to Finance, Procurement, Office Administration, Human Resources, and Grants.
- Responsible for ensuring staff members’ adherence to client and DAI policies (as outlined in Field Operations Manual), and that appropriate checks and balances (separation of duties) are maintained, and staff carry out responsibilities in line with the latest Project Schedule of Authorities
- Regularly communicating the administrative and financial needs of the project to PTL
- Provide finance and operational inputs for effective project implementation
- Responsible for overall supervision of the operational management of the LUC offices.
- Complete other duties as necessary and assigned by the Program Team Leader
Financial Management (50%)
- Undertake financial management and financial reporting in compliance with DAI and US Department of State policies and procedures
- Lead program annual budget development process that includes life-of-project and activity budgets and ensuring compliance of program expenditures with approved budgets; ensure the consistency, inclusion and accuracy of costs and that they comply with agreed policy and practices, and work with staff in developing budgets for technical activities as necessary. Revise overall and sub-budgets as needed throughout the work plan year.
- Maintain systems for program budget monitoring, tracking and expenditures that include financial and contractual data. Provide routine pipeline analyses to the PTL.
- Ensure timely preparation of financial reports as required. Provide any ad hoc reports as needed. In addition, perform routine financial analysis on program expenditures, documenting and monitoring overall performance, analysing trends, identifying gaps to ensure efficient and sound project management.
- Coordinate with DAI Pakistan finance and accounting team for information needed for budgeting, budget monitoring and expenditures monitoring and reporting. Monitor project funds planning, expenses approvals, financial transactions etc.
- Serve as a business officer for preparation of budgets and budget amendments
- Monitor adjustments to budgets whenever required.
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports to the PTL as required.
- Coordinate the execution of internal/external financial, operations, and program reviews or audits, and ensure timely follow up to review or audit conclusions and recommendations.
- Coordinate requests of funds, based on budget and cash flow projections, to ensure the program has all the necessary funds for the operations.
- Manage/oversee all aspects of day-to-day finance functions at both LUC offices
- Assist in the implementation of effective and efficient systems of internal controls
- Verify and approve project financial payments as per project financial policy
- Oversees the petty cash management at project offices
Operations management (40%)
- Responsible for overall management of operations, including procurements, logistics/travel, office administration, and IT systems
- Ensures the integrity of all local procurements, both operations and technical, coordinate the procurement process of all commodities and services, manage all procurements and purchases as per laid down DAI procurement protocols, ensure systems and processes are in place for effective quality assurance of the procurement processes, manage contracts with local vendors
- Responsible for keeping the office and all project assets safe, including office maintenance, refurbishments, and office moves, office inventory management, and ensuring that all office equipment is working and serviced on a regular basis, in compliance with all policies and procedures related to facilities management and inventory management.
- Sets up and manages the required logistics tools, systems, and resources including managing office vehicles and drivers, arranging and managing travel and lodging for staff
- Manages the use of the TAMIS Pro and provides TAMIS training to new employees
- Oversees support staff including office assistants, finance and operations officers, security and information technology (IT) services and staff
- Provide support in HR matters including maintaining and overseeing staff time sheets, leave records, payroll and insurance processing etc.
Grants Management (10%)
- Oversee financial reviews of grantees’ financial systems, processes, and statements as part of the pre-award assessment process
- Coordinate with implementing partners including monitoring compliance with the terms and conditions etc.
- Provide training and guidance to project staff and implementing partners on all donor and DAI regulations and policies, as needed
- Conduct financial review of sub awards’ invoices and ensure these are reviewed and duly reviewed and approved for processing of payments
Requirements (Education, Experience, Skills, Languages etc.):
- MBA Finance from HEC recognized university or CA/ ACMA/ACCA Finalist plus article completed with recognized firm
- 8-10 years’ experience, with at least 3 years of managerial experience, overseeing and managing finance and operations in USAID funded projects, multilateral/bilateral agencies or large NGOs is required
- Track record in developing and managing budgets, analysing spending against budget, and internal and external reporting is required.
- Demonstrated experience in project operations, including procurement of goods and services, office/facilities management, travel and logistics, and/or subcontracting required
- Strong management, planning, analytical and organizational skills demonstrated by ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated good judgment for decision making.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.).
- Ability to set clear objectives, coordinate resources, people, and processes, and manage feedback loops to adjust approaches as necessary
- Ability to weigh information and options, and make quality decisions based on a mixture of analysis, evidence, and experience to arrive at the most appropriate, high impact solutions.
- Actively seek new ways to develop the application of technical and professional standards, and design innovative solutions, for effective project delivery in compliance with DAI policies
- Ability to work effectively and contribute to positive strategic work relationships with people at all levels both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to accept the unexpected and adjust to what the situation now requires rather than what was planned
- Able to speak and write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Can get messages across that have the desired effect
- Ability to work in environment with multiple tasks, within deadlines and high-performance standards
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability in consensus building, and to constructively manage a team.
- Demonstrates DAI values of integrity, responsibility, excellent and global citizenship
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Self-accountability for making decisions and managing resources efficiently
- Ability to work independently and effectively lead and advise project teams to a high professional standard
- Fluency in written and spoken professional/business in English and Urdu is mandatory.
- Fluency in Sindhi/Punjab will be a plus.
- Must be willing to travel as per project needs.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook as well as finance/accounting softwares.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. DAI does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, veteran status, or other non-merit factor.
DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
Since 1970, we have worked in more than 150 countries—delivering results across the spectrum of international development contexts, from stable societies and high-growth economies to challenging environments racked by political or military conflict.
Across the globe, we work together with a shared mission of helping people improve their lives. We tackle fundamental problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We combine expertise and innovation across multiple technical sectors to deliver long-lasting results.
We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
As one of the world’s pre-eminent international development consultancies, DAI has implemented high-impact projects in Pakistan for more than 40 years and is registered as DAI Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd with SECP.
Our ability to innovate and implement solutions to complex problems is a direct result of our commitment to act with integrity in everything we do. DAI employees have worked to achieve profound and positive change in the countries and communities in which we work. DAI brings to Pakistan its global perspective, resources, and expertise, and a locally led team of world class professionals based in Islamabad and other cities.
Our core values are excellence, integrity, responsibility, and global citizenship. These values shape our culture and provide the basis for our success.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, disability status, and gender identity.