Hiring on Urgent Basis
DAI is implementing the US Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Rights and Labor (DRL)’s funded project “Strengthening Leadership within Union Councils (LUC)”.
LUC is a four-year project (2019-2023) and is working with local governments in Sindh and Punjab to increase the capacity of local councils to fulfill their commitments to providing services to local communities and improve the equitable allocation of local resources.
LUC will work with the Union Councils (Sindh) and Village Panchayat and Neighborhood Councils (Punjab), various government departments, independent commissions, academia, and local civil society organizations and platforms to achieve the following objectives:
Objective 1: Increase the local councils’ capacity to engage in good governance best practices. Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Understanding of good governance, planning and budgeting
- Support for service delivery, planning, decision making and monitoring
- Enhanced access to local council services
Objective 2: Increase the leadership skills of council members (officials and elected representatives). Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Leadership training program for elected and reserved seat councilors
- Institutional strengthening of Local Government Academies
Objective 3: Provide councils with opportunities to engage under-represented groups (women, youth and minorities). Following thematic areas are included under this objective:
- Capacity building of youth, women and minority councilors
- Inclusive engagement of relevant stakeholders in local councils (local CSOs/NGOs, bar associations, press clubs, community leaders, councilors etc)
- Advocacy capabilities of community activists
The Program Development Lead/Specialist will be responsible for development, implementation and quality assurance of all project activities in Sindh, in accordance with the LUC overall scope of work and according to DAI project guidelines, in close coordination and consultation of M&E team, Operations team, LUC partners and grantees.
The Program Development Lead/Specialist will create partnerships and linkages with relevant stakeholders for improved governance practices and service delivery, leadership development of local council officials and elected representatives, and greater engagement of citizens with local governments.
The Program Development Lead/Specialist will closely work with multiple government stakeholders (such as Local Government Department, Local Government Commission, Local Government Inspectorate, Local Government Academy, RTI Commission, Sindh Ombudsman), in addition to civil society platforms, academia, community leaders, and NGO partners.
Program Development Lead/Specialist, Sindh will report to the Program Team Lead and will be based at LUC’s Sukkur office, with frequent travel to Khairpur, and sporadic travel to other cities as per project requirements. The Program Development Lead/Specialist, Sindh will be supported by the Grants Officer, Sindh.
1. Strategic Management
- Advise the Program Team Lead on the emerging local political and legal developments, institutional arrangements and policy environment in Sindh, and identify appropriate adaptation of the project programming to the broader context
- Assist the Program Team leader to perform duties of the day-to-day decision making on project activities’ planning, management, implementation, quality monitoring and closure.
- Manage the realization of project outputs through activities.
- Provide necessary direction, guidance and support to Grants Officer in successful implementation and quality assurance of project activities.
- Liaise with the M&E team for effective monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance of all project activities and intended impacts
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project activities.
2. Strategic Partnerships and Linkages with Key Stakeholders
- Develop strong relationships with relevant stakeholders that include government officials, donors, NGO/CSO organizations, civil society platforms (e.g. bar associations, press clubs, CSO networks), academia and local communities for joint ownership and smooth implementation of project activities
- Facilitate the PTL in establishing and maintaining working relationships with key institutions and stakeholders including Local Government Academy, Sindh RTI Commission, Sindh Local Government Commission, Provincial Ombudsman, Hindu Panchayat, Minority Department etc.
3. Design and Implementation of Project Activities in Sindh
- Develop and deliver the annual work plan along with deliverables and timelines, and align the grants programming, monitoring, and results reporting with overall project objectives and project impact
- Proactively identify local organizations with relevant expertise and through consultative process, engage them to design and implementation of effective grants within the scope of the project level strategy and intended impact, while working closely with local grantees to draft grant proposals and budgets utilizing appropriate contracting mechanisms.
- Provide support to Grants Officer in the pre-award assessments of newly identified grantees/partners, development of budgets and activity timelines with grantees, and technical oversight of grant activities.
- Contribute to Quarterly/Annual Reports, Weekly News Updates etc.
- Engage and manage sector experts engaged on LUC thematic areas for development/delivery of project deliverables that are evidence-based and gender sensitive.
- Organize consultation workshops on LUC thematic areas with relevant stakeholders to develop and refine plans, concept papers, policy initiatives and project activities
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Team Leader.
Requirements (Education, Experience, Skills, Languages etc.):
- Master’s degree in development studies, public policy/administration, governance, or other relevant social sciences from HEC recognized university
- Substantial 7-10 years’ experience in designing, implementing, and managing governance projects/initiatives with local/international civil society/NGO, multilateral /or government organizations is mandatory
- Strong understanding of and experience in governance programming and capability to translate needs into project strategies and workplan essential
- Demonstrated management experience in building partnerships and providing technical assistance to implementing partners, in project management, grants management, donor reporting, and working with government departments
- Experience with USAID funded projects (highly desirable), other international organizations or donor funded projects with a large local/foreign NGO
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based research) required
- Demonstrated technical expertise and experience in multiple LUC thematic areas (listed below) is required:
i. institutional strengthening,
ii. capacity building/training programs and curricula,
iii. citizens engagement in development planning and budgeting,
iv. social accountability mechanisms,
v. grievance and complaints redressal mechanisms,
vi. caucus formation, working with councilors/local government representatives,
vii. citizens mobilization and advocacy,
viii. youth forums/university students engagement/youth leadership,
ix. women political empowerment initiatives/women leadership,
x. minority communities’ empowerment,
xi. media and advocacy campaigns,
xii. press clubs, CSOs alliance/networks, bar associations etc.
xiii. RTI Commission,
- Have excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs, activities and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project planning, implementation and reporting documents.
- Strong in knowledge and experience sharing, and ability to identify, develop and incorporate lesson learned and best practices in project activities’ planning and implementation
- Managerial competency with demonstrated experience in results-based management and results-oriented approach to project implementation
- Oversee timely project implementation and to provide the necessary trouble shooting/mitigation/adaption strategies to keep project delivery on line and on schedule
- Proven leadership skills in leading multi-cultural teams for achieving results
- Effectively research and develop work planning documents through consultative engagement with relevant stakeholders, independent research, and adapted to local context and constraints in the operating environment
- Develop clear goals and activities that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning; monitor and adjust plans and actions as necessary. Use time efficiently.
- Ability to focus in stressful situations and successfully mobilize necessary support/resources to deal with operational/technical challenges
- Excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied partners.
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with multiple teams across the organization
- Demonstrates DAI values of integrity, responsibility, excellent and global citizenship
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Creative self-starter with an ability to work independently and also as an integral part of project teams to deliver results
- Fluency in written and spoken professional/business English is mandatory.
- Fluency in Sindhi is required.
- Must be willing to travel as per project needs.
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
Since 1970, we have worked in more than 150 countries—delivering results across the spectrum of international development contexts, from stable societies and high-growth economies to challenging environments racked by political or military conflict.
Across the globe, we work together with a shared mission of helping people improve their lives. We tackle fundamental problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We combine expertise and innovation across multiple technical sectors to deliver long-lasting results.
We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
As one of the world’s pre-eminent international development consultancies, DAI has implemented high-impact projects in Pakistan for more than 40 years and is registered as DAI Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd with SECP.
Our ability to innovate and implement solutions to complex problems is a direct result of our commitment to act with integrity in everything we do. DAI employees have worked to achieve profound and positive change in the countries and communities in which we work. DAI brings to Pakistan its global perspective, resources, and expertise, and a locally led team of world class professionals based in Islamabad and other cities.
Our core values are excellence, integrity, responsibility, and global citizenship. These values shape our culture and provide the basis for our success.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, disability status, and gender identity.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.