The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), is a private, non-denominational, international development agency established in 1967. It seeks sustainable solutions to long-term problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and ill-health with special emphasis on the needs of rural communities in mountainous and other resource-poor regions, primarily in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Its main areas of focus are education, health, rural development, environment, and strengthening civil society.
The Aga Khan Foundation (Pakistan) [AKF(P)] is seeking a high-caliber professional for the following position to be based in Islamabad, Pakistan.
The incumbent will report to Gender Advisor, AKF(P), and will work closely with all departments to provide technical support to the organization. Gender Advisor will guide and coach the Gender Officer and provide her/him expertise in integrating and mainstreaming gender and diversity across all projects and programmes and within the organization.
The Gender Officer will provide support and ensure the implementation of gender mainstreaming and inclusion of diversity across all AKF Pakistan programmes/ projects in Gilgit Baltistan, Chitral and Sindh, in close coordination with the implementing partners and stakeholders. S/he will also work on gender equality and diversity inclusion of different ethnic, religious, social groups, and people with disabilities with an effort to ensure that all programme/project interventions are sensitive to these dynamics on the ground and within the organization.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Followings are the key roles and responsibilities of the position, including 60% travelling time to the project areas which involves Gilgit Baltistan, Chital and Sindh.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide technical support in review and preparation of Gender Equality policy and implementation of the Gender Action Plan (GAP) for AKF Pakistan
- Review key project documentation e.g. project implementation plans, strategies, baselines and assessments for gender and diversity inclusion.
- Provide technical support (technical inputs) to the project teams/ thematic leads on mainstreaming gender in planning, budgeting, implementation, compliance with donor requirements and monitoring and reporting.
- Assist Gender Advisor in oversight, review, compliance with donor requirements and capacity development of stakeholders on/ with regards to gender equality and mainstreaming for F4HE programme.
- Assist Gender Advisor in designing and implementation of capacity building programmes for staff and stakeholders on gender and diversity inclusion.
- Assist in networking and coordination within the programmes and organizations
- Support in building/ strengthening knowledge management system and knowledge sharing within the organization and programmes
- Support in updating and sharing with staff recent developments and knowledge tools in the areas of interventions.
- Support data/ information compilation for Gender Equality Scorecard and Gender Equality (GEM) Matrix Scoring
- To assist Gender Advisor in the preparation of annual work plan and budgets.
Monitoring and Reporting on Gender Issues
- Monitor, analyze and report against the project’s GAP on the gender and diversity inclusion for communities especially women, children and people with disabilities in coordination with relevant implementing partners and stakeholders
- Monitor and report on the project-related gender and diversity issues in the regions.
- Contribute to overall effective management of the projects/ programmes by synthesizing lessons, challenges, and risks: applying key learnings to project implementation; and reviewing project plans and budgets to ensure that adequate attention is paid to gender and diversity inclusion measures.
Networking and Coordination
- Assist Gender Advisor to liaise with key national and international stakeholders, key domestic political and civic actors, civil society organizations, international NGOs, UN partners and donors in the region to facilitate and enhance contribution towards the implementation of the gender equality agenda.
- Support Gender Advisor in organizing AKF Women’s Network and gender group meetings
Knowledge Management and Knowledge Sharing
- Provide brief updates on the development of gender-related issues in the regions.
- Provide assistance in data collection, compiling lessons learned, and establishing indicators to support knowledge sharing.
- Assist in the development of concept notes, project documents and policy frameworks, and research area and gender issues for best practices.
- Participate in a gender-related community of practice/ groups and network meetings.
- Support in writing success stories related to programme and project developments as they relate to gender equality issues.
- Coordinate training activities and develop a suite of tools for training on gender.
- To perform any other duties and tasks as requested by the organization.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- The incumbent must have a Masters’s degree from a recognized and well-reputed University in the relevant discipline such as Gender, Social Sciences, International Development, or Humanitarian Studies.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant hands-on experience mainstreaming gender and social protection in a developing country context is required. Experience with gender mainstreaming and gender-related projects with additional understanding of a crisis/conflict prevention and recovery approach.
- Technical Knowledge
- Technical knowledge of gender and social protection approaches.
- Knowledge and experience of results-based monitoring and evaluation particularly with respect to assessing gender equality results.
- Good understanding of government and development partner policies and priorities and familiarity with broad objectives of the AKDN and the development sector; cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity and ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Soft Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Urdu.
- Highly proactive and passionate about work.
- Capable of producing high-quality results within often tight deadlines.
- Ability for multitasking and work under pressure.
- Ability to distill large volumes of data in short periods of time.
- Intellectual curiosity and demonstrated record of professional development/growth.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work through complex models to determine the key assumptions, implicit caveats, and limitations.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with all levels of management.
AKF(P) offers a competitive remuneration package and a conducive working environment. AKF(P) recruitment and selection policy and procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity, safeguarding, and promoting the welfare of children in accordance with AKF(P)’s Safeguarding Policy and expects all staff, volunteers, and representatives to share this commitment. Background checks and an approved vetting procedure will be required.
Kindly note that this is Local Position and there is no provision of Relocation Allowance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply.
The deadline for applications is October 04, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.