CARE is a leading global humanitarian and development organization. In Pakistan, CARE started its operations in 2005 and since then has supported the Government of Pakistan’s efforts to reduce poverty and suffering of the people affected by disasters. CARE’s programs focus on helping Pakistan achieve its Sustainable Development Goals especially in the areas of Health, Education, Women’s Economic Empowerment and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR). Since starting operations in Pakistan, CARE has responded with life-saving support to a series of large-scale disasters. CIP works through its local partners and a range of stakeholders for development, as well as emergency response related interventions, which makes collaboration a key component of its work, across the country. We are a nationally inclusive organization that strives to support the most vulnerable communities all over Pakistan, with particular attention to women and girls and youth.
I. Job Summary:
CARE has decades of global experience and proven success working with small-scale women producers. She Feeds the World is unique because it strategically connects multisector who, together, can create change at scale. The goal of the SFtW framework is to fulfill the rights to food and nutrition security for women and small-scale producers and their families. SFtW builds on CARE's 75 years of experience in promoting an integrative approach to food and nutrition security that not only promotes access to critical inputs like water, land, seeds, technology, and finance, and access to markets, but also includes an explicit focus on nutrition, safety nets and social protection in times of crisis, and puts gender equality and women's empowerment at the heart of everything we do. SFtW works directly with women to strengthen their skills and confidence to engage in sustainable agriculture practices, financial inclusion, market engagement, gender equality, and food and nutrition security -- while also engaging with men and boys to support efforts for greater equality. To continue to push the envelope on high quality programming, SFtW harnesses cutting edge research and innovation. We use evidence to build strategic partnerships, along with advocacy and influencing strategies, that fuel structural changes and scale up proven approaches to improve food and nutrition security for women and their households. Together, these evidence-based tools and practices link women to resources and markets, improve family nutrition, and break down barriers that trap small-scale producers (specially women) and their families in poverty.
CARE International in Pakistan has decades of experience in working with marginalized and vulnerable producers and their communities. We work with women, girls, boys and men to unleash women's potential to the benefit of society as a whole. We focus on promoting long-term development through our programs, multiplying impact through evidence, and influencing at a national and global scale.
The project will be implemented in three districts of Punjab Province (Vehari, Okara & Pakpattan). The main change pathways of the project are:
- Supporting women’s empowerment
- Increasing women’s access to and control of productive resources
- Enabling women’s access to inclusive markets
- Improving nutrition
- Multiplying impact, to enable change at scale
The Position will be based at CARE Country Office Islamabad with frequent travel (50%) to the field.
II. Job Responsibilities and Tasks:
The overall objective of the position is to assist the SFtW project team and partner in adaptation of Climate Smart Agriculture practices that includes soil carbon, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve water use efficiencies, and promote sustainable land practices. Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist will help to build agricultural resiliency of the farmers to the impacts of climate change while using land management as a solution to the climate crisis. He/She will play its role to capacitate farmers especially women to climate smart agriculture techniques so that they are more resilient and secure decent livelihoods. The incumbent will work with implementing partners to design the trainings to introduce the climate smart agriculture techniques among farmers. Climate Smart agriculture specialist shall perform the following tasks and responsibilities:
Technical Responsibilities (65%)
- Provide technical guidance/recommendations and support the development, implementation and mainstreaming of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) technologies across all SFtW Program areas of intervention including crops, livestock and irrigation.
- Support in implementation of CSA activities by the local partner
- Support resource mobilization efforts by contributing to concept note writing and providing relevant assessments and evidence based field data in the area of responsibility.
- Work closely with the Senior Project Manager to develop the CSA adoption Plans and the Cost, Benefit analysis.
- Support the strengthening of partnership and linkages with public and private institutions that generate relevant information and technologies that support CSA.
- Support the preparation of quality and timely briefs and reports on SFtW Program in the area of responsibility for internal and external use.
- Support partner team for delivery of all program activities in project intervention areas.
- Liaise with M&E team and implementing partners to conduct relevant assessments to gather feedback and comments to support program reviews and improve delivery.
- Contribute to project progress reports by providing field data and lessons gathered from the fields during project implementation
Reporting and Coordination (15%)
- Coordinate with partners and stakeholders for CSA activities implementation.
- Prepare timely transparent honest and accurate reports according to the requirements of the donor and internal deadlines; reflecting all project progress challenges lessons learned and other relevant details withholding information pertinent to the project for any reason.
- Provide regular update on CSA Interventions on weekly or monthly reports as required by CARE
- Prepare reports according to government requirements and requirements of the donor.
- Attend coordination meetings to report on any project challenges to Coordination as requested; pro-actively raise foreseen issues challenges and delays to line manager and Country Director in advance to maximize risk mitigation.
Resource Mobilization (15%)
- Contribute and provide insights into fundraising efforts related to the scope of climate smart agriculture.
- Regularly coordinate with donors and conduct monthly and quarterly meetings with the donors for project updates, challenges, solutions and support required
- Regularly coordinate with partners, visit partner office and project site on monthly basis (additional visits as essential) and conduct partners’ review meetings on quarterly basis.
- Proactively identify new funding opportunities and interact with donors where possible.
- Support in new program designing and technical write ups
Any other task as assigned by the supervisor (5%)
- Any other tasks or responsibilities based on organizational and programming need as assigned by Line Manager.
- Safety and Security is everyone’s responsibility within CI through full compliance and accountability (as per Principle of the CARE International Safety & Security Principles).
III. Problem Solving
Levels one and two of problem solving apply to the incumbent. The incumbent will be involved in daily routine activities, s/he also uses interpolative skills to pick and choose the right solution to address given problems.
IV. Qualifications (Know How)
Required: Bachelors or Post graduate degree in agricultural sciences or related field with at least 5-8 years of relevant senior level experience with INGO.
Additional qualifications and experience in climate smart agriculture, natural resource management, irrigation will be an added advantage
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in the field of agriculture and with deep understanding of climate smart agriculture concepts and programming
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders
- Familiarity and proven experience in project management and development
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent computer skills, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines;
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development, Poverty Eradication and social protection
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector and civil society;
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
c) Technical Skills:
- Ability to perform successfully as a member of multiple disciplinary teams.
- Strong computer skills particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Strong time management skills with the capacity to adapt to a changing environment and work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent writing, communication, proofreading, editing and presentation skills.
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and manage time well.
- Proficiency in English and Urdu. other Pakistani languages preferred.
- Willing to travel on a short notice, as required by the organization.
Respect, accountability, building commitment, stress tolerance, collaboration, contributing to team success, customer focus and information monitoring.
Team work – Able to work effectively with other people within a work group.
Writing – Able to communicate ideas and information in writing to ensure that information and messages are understood and have the desired impact.
V. Working Conditions and Level of Travel Required
The position is based in Islamabad with around 50% travel to project operational areas as per organizational and function requirement.
CARE International in Pakistan is an equal opportunity employer; only individuals who are shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. CARE has a zero-tolerance approach toward sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse.
Note: Individuals can apply using Brightspyre or send their resumes directly to [email protected] clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line of the email, before the stated deadline. Please share your current as well as salary expectation along with the CV.