CARE began its operations in Pakistan, as a multi-mandate organization, working for both longer-term development opportunities as well as supporting the most vulnerable communities in times of humanitarian crises. Since its establishment, CARE International in Pakistan (CIP) has worked across all parts of the country- from the hardest to reach areas to urban metropolises. CARE engages with private sector partners, government, and local communities to promote women’s economic empowerment with a particular focus on entrepreneurship development, financial inclusion, strengthening inclusive value chains, and increasing employability skills. Our approach goes beyond a singular focus on income generation to holistically promoting empowerment by focusing on strengthening women and girls’ education, confidence, negotiation skills and fostering an enabling environment that is free from gender based violence (GBV) in the world of work (especially sexual harassment and other gender biases).
I. JOB SUMMARY:
CARE is anticipating a project on youth led climate action. This project is anticipated to be implemented across all provinces. The project mainly focusses on youth led advocacy & influencing to address inequalities caused by climate change.
Project Officer - Climate Justice will support in implementation of Project on climate justice. The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to effectively represent CARE’s capacity in climate change and green entrepreneurship. The position also requires the ability to work with diverse teams; including but not limited to Project, Operations, Finance, HR, Security, Resource Mobilization, and MEAL staff at the country office level.
Position will be based at CARE Country Office Islamabad. The incumbent will report directly to the Entrepreneurship Development Specialist.
II. Job Description:
Implementation: % of Time: 60%
- Oversee implementation of youth led climate action activities. Engage youth and other stakeholders to devise influencing strategy to address root causes of climate injustice.
- Monitor Project progress against both Project and budgetary targets, suggest adjustments to project design as necessary
- Prepare timely and high-quality Project and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal organization requirements and any relevant external donor requirements
- Efficiently meet commitments and deadlines in achieving results.
- Plan, organize, modify work plans by identifying priorities.
- Ensure adoption of recommendations (i.e. audits, evaluations, monitoring etc.)
- Design and facilitate workshops, training sessions and meetings, when needed.
- Follow up with stakeholders/partners to seek information on progress and report.
- Monitoring visit to project locations and coordinate with CARE and IP teams to disseminate findings/suggestions for smooth implementation of the project interventions.
- Build synergies with other CARE Projects.
Coordination: % of time: 20%
- Ensure effective implementation of project interventions.
- Build synergies among different stakeholders which includes CARE Project team, implementing partners, skill development entities, ministry of climate change, ministry of labor, youth led advocacy group/panel and organizations working on climate justice agenda.
Monitoring and evaluation and promote visibility of project through relevant channels: % of time: 15%
- Effectively design and implement a regular monitoring system in collaboration with MEAL Unit.
- Generate reports that can guide future Projects/Interventions.
- Collect case studies and insights from the field.
- Assist relevant Project team members to promote visibility of CARE Projects related to green jobs, climate justice relevant channels
- Ensure that project documentation is compliant with CARE and reports are prepared well in time.
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture
Any other task as assigned by the supervisor. % of time: 05%
- The duties and responsibilities described above are subject to change, depending on organizational needs.
- Safety and Security is everyone’s responsibility within CI through full compliance and accountability (as per Principle –ii of the CARE International Safety & Security Principles).
III. Job Specifications
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental/social sciences and/or related field
- At least three years’ experience of working in similar position with the reputed National, or International organizations.
- Well aware of Climate Change, Entrepreneurship (green) ecosystem/green jobs.
- Experience of youth-focused & gender-focused interventions
- Experience in advocacy & influencing for climate justice
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Technical knowledge in project implementation, eco-friendly jobs and interventions, green entrepreneurship as demonstrated by successful work experience
- Proven understanding of project implementation, reporting and monitoring.
- Understanding of key gender equality considerations, design, approaches and indicators for gender equality/equity.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu; knowledge of any other local language will be preferred
- Excellent computer skills (MS office)
- Experience of working with Ministry of Climate Change
- Experience of working with development sector organizations is mandatory with a focus to climate justice.
- Experience of remotely Project management in complex settings
- Experience of, and commitment to, working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- A team player who is able to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to self-manage, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proactive and ability to present the big picture
- Capacity to be dynamic, creative and innovative
- Excellent rapport building, interpersonal and team-building skills, and able to manage relationships with stakeholders
- Capacity to plan, organize and deliver results; and
- Commitment to CARE’s vision and mission.
IV. Contacts/Key Relationships
The incumbent is expected to collaborate with Project team, other teams at the Country Office as well as Partners.
V. Working Conditions and Level of Travel Required
The position is based in Islamabad, and entails travelling to different parts of Pakistan.
CARE International in Pakistan is an equal opportunity employer; only individuals who are shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. CARE has a zero-tolerance approach toward sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse.
Note: Individuals can apply using Brightspyre or send their resumes directly to [email protected] clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line of the email, before the stated deadline.