Title: Litigation Specialist
Location of Work Station: Sindh (Karachi)
Type of Job: Contractual
Reporting to: CEO/Chairman
The Legal Aid Society (LAS) is a not for profit organization with a mission to connect vulnerable and disempowered end users of justice with effective and expedient services for the delivery of justice. LAS starts by listening to the voices of the vulnerable and disempowered within the legal system and combines their needs with the values of equity, fairness and inclusion to change the way we view and tackle present day challenges facing the attainment of justice in our society. The organization adopts a two pronged approach within the larger framework of access to justice in Pakistan. The first aspect of programming is to provide direct assistance on a case by case and individualized basis through provision of legal representation; akin to plugging in gaps in the provision of legal aid. The second aspect of programming is aimed at systems level repair through the legal empowerment approach which seeks to increase knowledge of law amongst common users for effectuating more access and change within the surrounding legal ecosystem.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent shall be responsible for technical and delivery work relating to Litigation of Gender and Child Rights; more specifically in relation to key projects that the organization is implementing for promoting Children’s rights and Empowerment of Women as detailed below and in accordance to the relevant workplans.
- Responsible for development, design and dissemination of 25,000 copies of IEC Material through effective community mobilization in Karachi, Larkana and Shaheed Benazirabad.
- Ensuring 1000 deserving and needy women are provided with legal aid, advice and support through organization’s staff and community paralegals.
- Ensuring filing of 100 applications/ cases with relevant administrative forums for empowering women in relation to securing their rights to property.
- Ensuring 90 lawyers are trained through 6 capacity building sessions in Karachi, Larkana, and Shaheed Benazirabad
- Ensuring 120 people are trained in 6 capacity building workshops for relevant individuals relating to registration, acquisition or inheritance of property e.g. patwaris, representatives of the revenue department etc.
- Advocacy for notification and operationalization of a task force on SV under the Home Department
- Overseeing community engagement plan for community based networks in Shaheed Benazirabad, Larkana, and Karachi.
- Conducting and leading orientation sessions/ workshops with 30 nikkakhwans to understand social and health consequences and legal obligations of child marriages.
- Managing quality of litigation done by LAS in relation to SV cases.
- Ensuring effective case management and strategy development in SV cases LAS proceeds with conducting litigation team meetings and checks on SV cases.
- Building Capacity of District Prosecutors through supporting 50 SV cases in Hyderabad, Sukkur and Karachi.
- Master in Laws or equivalent with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Required advanced level of English, reading, writing for drafting Skills.
- Creative, energetic, ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Demonstrated flexibility, motivation, and maturity
- Willingness to work and live in harsh conditions.
- We are an equal opportunity employer for qualified male and female candidates.
- Females and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Interested candidates may apply online latest by January 31, 2022.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be called for tests & interviews.
- The organization reserves the right to reject any or all applications.
- For further information please visit: www.las.org.pk or email us at [email protected]